apple dish contest
Are you ready for a competition? Then sign up for our annual Apple Dish Contest … besides ‘bragging rights’ winner’s also receive cash awards!
- Main dish–(Meats, Salads, Casseroles, Sandwiches)—must contain meat or meat-substitute
- Cakes and Breads–(Cookies)
- Pies–(Pastries, Tarts)
- Apple Jelly, Butter and Jams
- Miscellaneous–(Beverages, Appetizers, Microwave, low calorie)
- Youth Category–(Ages 8-19) Miscellaneous
Apple Jelly, Butter, and Jams must be in standard canning jars, sealed and processed according to directions from the Cooperative Extension. Commercially canned apple pie filling may be used in the apple dish contest in an individual entry.
1. Each entry must have first and last name of individual, address, phone number and category of recipe. Entries are due by Wednesday, September 17.
Submit typed entry to:
NC Cooperative Extension
115 West Main Street
Lincolnton, NC 28092
2. Recipes submitted must feature significant amounts of apple product and have a distinctive apple flavor.
3. Prize money will be given in each category:
Grand Prize awarded by Apple Board: $50.00–Presented to overall winner
First Prize: $25.00
Second Prize: $15.00
Third Prize: $10.00
4. Each person can enter only one recipe per category
5. Contestants must bring prepared dish to Citizens Center (first floor demonstration kitchen) between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., Saturday, September 20, 2014 or if you have a dish that requires no refrigeration, does not have to be served hot and is not perishable, you may bring it to the Citizens Center on Friday, September 19, 2014 between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
6. First place winners and Grand Prize Winners from 2012 and 2013 should not enter a recipe in the same category in 2014-2015 (the next two years).
7. First place winning recipes from previous years may not be entered again this year by the same person.
8. Winners will be announced at 12:00 noon in the demonstration kitchen in the Citizens Center.
9. The contest is open to anyone.