Apple Rhubarb Custard Pie – 2010 1st Place: Pies, Pastries and Tarts
Congratulations to Linda Friedland for winning 1st Place in the Pies, Pastries and Tarts category.
Sav’n the TaTa’s Think’n Pink Apple Rhubarb Custard Pie
2 boxes Pillsbury Ready Made Pastry (1 box for 9-inch two crust pie and 1 box for decorations and wrapping apples)
2-1/2 cups sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Drops of pink food coloring to get whatever shade of pink that you choose
3 cups sliced, fresh apples (I use Golden Delicious)
2 whole apples (cored and stuffed with brown sugar) for TaTa’s on top of upper crust
2 cups diced rhubarb (cut small…1/8 inch)
2 tablespoons butter
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat eggs slightly…add remaining ingredients except butter and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into pastry-lined pie pan. Dot with butter.
- Cover with pastry top and decorate with your choice of cookie cutters or lattice or whatever. In this “Breast Cancer Awareness Pie”, I chose to make 2 TaTas on the top, by taking 2 apples and covering them with part of the 2nd box of pie crust. Then I decorated with pastry ribbons…hand-cut out. Dab/rub milk on top of crust and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Cover edge of pie with 2-3 inch strips of aluminum foil and cover the entire TaTa’s with foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil last 15 minutes of baking. Bake approximately 50-60 minutes or until nicely browned. Best to serve slightly warm… good with ice cream.